Sleep, often referred to as the "magic" that happens in the bedroom, holds the key to numerous biological miracles, especially for your skin that never sleeps. The concept of "beauty sleep" is not just a cliché; scientific evidence supports the idea that essential recovery processes occur during our nightly shut-eye. In this article, we'll delve into what beauty sleep is, the repercussions of a poor night's sleep, and the benefits of catching up on those much-needed zzz's.
How much beauty sleep do you need ?
According to the national sleep foundation, adults should be getting seven to nine hours of sleep everynight. If you’re getting less than six, you will likely notice the impact on more than just your mood.
How poor sleep can affect appearance ?
It is well known that sleep deprivation can have remarkable effects on weight, mental health, and immunity, the effects of insufficient sleep on skin and beauty are less understood.
We’ve all experienced a bad night’s sleep and noticed afterwards how our skin may be looking blotchy or pale. Sleep deprivation can cause stress, which can impair collagen quality and lead to breakouts. That’s because skin uses sleep to heal itself and we don’t get enough of it, we can see the effects. People who suffer from poor sleep on a regular basis can be less attractive, they suffer from accelerated intrinsic aging and are dissatisfied with their physical appearance and have low self-esteem.
7 benefits of beauty sleep :
We’ve tackled the impact of a bad night’s sleep, let’s go over some of the positives of getting the beauty rest you deserve. Here are some benefits of catching up on your zzz’s :
- Fewer wrinkles :
When you sleep, blood flow to the epidermis increases. This is when your skin begins to rebuild and produce new collagen, which helps skin prevent sagging, aging and wrinkles.
- Beauty tip : Consider purchasing « Anti-aging concentrate treatment - crème délices visage ». It’s a rich anti-aging concentrate that smoothes wrinkles and brings moisture, youth and firmness to the skin.
- De-Puffed eyes : Dark circles can be a real nightmare, they can feel impossible to get rid of. Eye creams didn’t help ? well, maybe you should take a closer look at your sleep habits. Try to sleep on your back with a few pillow under your head. This elevation will improve blood flow and help prevent blood from pooling under your eyes.
- Easier weight loss : Less sleep means higher levels of guerlin – also known as the « hunger hormone » - is a hormone that stimulates appetite, promotes fat storage, and can cause you to eat more. Your lack of sleep could be sabotaging your weight loss journey. Eat light and healthy before bed. Eating heavy meals before bed can encourage weight gain.
- Healthier skin : During the day, skin cells are in defence mode, working thard to ward off environmental aggressors like UV rays, free radicals and pollution, as well as the mental and emotional stress of work, and daily tasks that can take its toll on your regenerative cycle as a whole. When the sun goes down, your systems can let their guard down only to naturally switch to an active regenaration mode on an internal and epidermal level. During sleep, the skin heals itself from the envoronmental stressors it was exposed to during the day. Not enough sleep can prevent your skin from fully healing.
- Fewer breakouts : Whether they are hormonal or stress related, pimples can be such pain in the back, making it hard to be cconfident in your own skin. Poor sleep can lead to increased stress hormones and a poor hormonal balcne, which leads to breakouts. Also don’t forget to clean your pillowcase at least once a week to get rid of any bacteria and lingering makeup.
- Happier mood : The better you sleep, the happier you’ll be. Sleep can affects your mood as well as your social interactions, your day all of a sudden seems harder and the tasks on your plate can feel impossible to complete due to lack of sleep.
- Increased self-esteem : Good sleepers have a significantly better perception of their appearance and physical attractiveness compared to those who slept poorly.
Tips on How to get more beauty sleep
- Create a relaxing bed time routine
- Wash your face before bed
- Clean sheets regularly
- Eat hydrating foods
- Skip slaty snacks
- Keep up with skincare
- Create a zen sleep environment (tip: use the pillow mist : « caresse de coton » and a reed diffuseur « un printemps à Marrakech » to enhance your sleep. Never underestimate the power of aromatherapy)